Saturday 26 April 2014

Earthfall by Mark Walden

Summary from Goodreads

The battle for mankind is about to begin in this riveting story of Earth’s invasion from the author of the H.I.V.E. series.

Sam awakens to see strange vessels gathered in the skies around London. As he stares up, people stream past, walking silently toward the enormous ships, which emit a persistent noise. Only Sam seems immune to the signal. Six months later, he is absolutely alone.

Or so he thinks. Because after he emerges from his underground bunker and is wounded by a flying drone, a hail of machine-gun fire ultimately reveals two very important truths: One, Sam is not, in fact, alone. And two, the drone injury should have killed him—but it didn’t.

With his home planet feeling alien and the future unstable and unclear, Sam must navigate a new world in this gripping adventure.


Paperback, 368 pages
Published February 6th 2014 by Bloomsbury Childrens (first published June 1st 2010) 

 My Review

Why oh why did I not read this sooner? Earthfall is a diamond in the rough...it sat underneath my nose unnoticed, when I should of been reading and shouting about it from the rooftops!
 

It isn't at all like I was expecting, it crept up, took me by complete surprise and hauled me on one hell of a fast paced ride! I adored the storyline, admittedly I have heard others like it, but the narrative and characters set it apart from the crowd!

When earth fell to an alien invasion, it caused nearly everyone on earth to become lifeless and completely unaware of everything. Everyone got up and immediately fell into line and started following orders. Sam, was one of the few who stayed themselves and he's been running and hiding ever since....

The action scenes are absolutely brilliant and I sat in awe as everything played out in such vivid detail. I loved each big shocking revelation that was revealed and I was always seriously excited to know what I was going to uncover next. There are a lot of complex details that make up the back story, but it's all quite easy to follow.

I genuinely really liked main character, Sam. He is fierce, strong, intelligent and also a great leader. There is also an interesting mix of secondary characters in here, I particularly enjoyed reading about Rachel - who was kick-ass.

Riveting, action packed and gloriously vivid world building makes Earthfall a seriously awesome read! I can't recommend it enough and I want another book....NOW please ;)

4.5 / 5 Stars

*Special thanks to Bloomsbury for the review copy*





 

1 comment:

  1. I love when that happens with a book you finally get around to reading!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me lovely people! :)