Wednesday 23 April 2014

Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Summary from Goodreads

Some loves are meant to be. Others are cursed . . .

One night in the rain, Ethan Wate opened his eyes and fell in love with Lena Duchannes. His life would never be the same.

Lena is a Caster and her family is locked in a supernatural civil war: full of darkness and demons. On her sixteenth birthday Lena made a terrifying choice, which now haunts her day and night.

And as her seventeenth birthday approaches Lena and Ethan face even greater danger. A Caster and a Mortal can never truly be together.

Every kiss is a curse.

Ethan's next heartbeat could be his last.

It is their curse now . . .


Paperback, 503 pages
Published 2013 by Penguin Books (first published October 12th 2010)  
 
Quickie Review
 
I am in love with these Caster Chronicles books! They are a form of escapism for me and I love nothing more than to get wrapped up in the Gatlin bubble. I would actually love to live in Gatlin, especially to eat some of Amma's pies and check out the library!

Beautiful Darkness admittedly isn't my favourite in the series as it's pacing is a little slow at times - but I still thoroughly enjoyed it's intensity. We get to see what Ethan's made of in this story, as he goes on a bit of a solo mission. We also get to see how strong and special his relationship with Link is (I love Link).

My favourite part was delving into the dark and very alluring underground Caster tunnels, where anything could happen and you could very easily loose yourself. I also really liked being introduced to 2 fantastic new characters - Liv and John.

Beautiful Darkness is an exciting, dangerous and very dark 2nd instalment in the Caster Chronicles. It's sees our characters developing beautifully as individuals and also in their relationships. The writing is fantastic and the lush descriptors are moreishly vivid. I just can't wait for my next visit to Gatlin!

4 / 5 Stars

*Special thanks to Penguin for the review copy*
 
(I had read and adored Beautiful Darkness years ago but never reviewed the book. So when given the opportunity to read the series again to get readers excited for the upcoming release of Dangerous Creatures - how could I possibly refuse! One of my all time favourite series' - look out for the rest of my reviews in the coming weeks.)

Dangerous Creatures is available for preorder on Amazon here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me lovely people! :)