Friday 18 October 2013

Spook's: I Am Grimalkin by Joseph Delaney‏


Summary from Goodreads

"I'm coming for you, and nothing living or dead can stop me."

One witch is the most feared, the most ruthless, and the most deadly of all the witches in the county. If she hunts for you, she will find you. If you have crossed her, you don't stand a chance. She is the witch assassin, and her name is Grimalkin.

Grimalkin's one alliance is with Tom Ward, the Spook's apprentice. With Tom, she plans to rid the world of the most terrifying evil, the Fiend, who once did her great wrong.

For the first time, fans of the Last Apprentice series will hear the story from Grimalkin's side, as she is hunted herself by creatures of darkness set on revenge.

Grimalkin has never been defeated. But can she survive an enemy created for the sole purpose of destroying her?


258 pages
Published September 1st 2011by Red Fox

My Review

Just when you think you've read the best of the series, along comes this little nugget of awesomeness and rocks your socks off!

Grimalkin is one of the most terrifyingly intriguing characters that I have ever came across. I love her tough talking and hard as nails ways. She is a force to be reckoned with and she coldly calculates each deadly situation to her advantage. You most definitely wouldn't want her as your enemy.

What is more interesting is Grimalkin's back story, why is she the way that she is?

This story follows Grimalkin on her dangerous quest to keep the head of the devil himself from falling into the wrong hands. She is relentlessly pursued by deadly disciples of the dark and there is danger at every turn.

Grimalkin is a highly skilled assassin and she fears nothing but there is something that pursues her will prove to be her toughest challenge yet! Could this chilling being be her doom......

I sat glued to each battle scene and I could easily feel each stroke of a blade or deadly blow. I sat on the edge of my seat when Grimalkin is chased, ears pricked, listening to her enemies movements. Everything is very tautly written and I truly felt like I was living in the pages of this super tense book!

Another big plus is how we also get to learn Grimalkin's back-story, through snippets scattered throughout the story. I loved seeing some of her little vulnerabilities.

Joseph Delaney writes with precision and every epic scene was crisp, clean and to the point. The ending is unbelievably unexpected.....I loved it!

On a little side note: The secondary characters in here are fantastic. I adored watching the tough Grimalkin interact, bond and actually care for another person. If only we could of found out more about them.

The 9th book in the Wardstone Chronicles is terrifyingly goose-bumpy. We are taken on such an action packed journey with the deadliest being yet. Grimalkin's fight for survival is highly engaging and this has easily made her a seriously memorable character! Already reaching for the next book....

A BIG 5 Stars!

*Special thanks to Red Fox for the review copy*


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me lovely people! :)