Thursday 8 August 2013

The Spook's Curse by Joseph Delaney‏


Summary from Goodreads

'How many times have you told me that the dark's getting stronger in this town? What terrible force makes good men inflict such atrocities or stand by and let them happen? . . . Aye, the Bane is to blame, and the Bane must be stopped now.'

The Spook and his apprentice, Thomas Ward, have travelled to Priestown to defeat 'the Bane', a powerful, evil creature that lurks in the catacombs of the cathedral and is corrupting the County.


As Thomas and his master prepare to battle with the Bane, they soon realize it isn't their only enemy in Priestown. The Quisitor has arrived, searching the County for those who meddle with the dark - witches, warlocks and spooks! Can Thomas and his master survive the horror that follows . . .?


The series that inspired the forthcoming movie Seventh Son, starring Jeff Bridges, Ben Barnes and Julianne Moore.


Paperback, 433 pages
Published June 30th 2005 by Red Fox
 
My Review
 
I picked this book up immediately after finishing The Spook's Apprentice and I have to admit to enjoying this one so much more than the first.

Joseph Delaney's writing really does flow perfectly in this one and the pacing is brilliant. The world building has strengthened and the characters have really developed - so it's fair to say things have been successfully taken up a notch.

The storyline wasn't as chilling as the first book but I loved it all the same! It picks up a few months after the last book and the action, mystery and chills were on from the very first page.

The Spook and his apprentice, Thomas Ward, will face their most dangerous task yet and no one is sure what will happen when they become face to face with the deadly Bane! People say The Bane was once worshipped as a god, but because of his evil deeds, he was captured and bound in the depths of Priestown! The Spook has already tried and failed to defeat it in the past and this time could be worse because it has been gaining strength....

I loved the whole epic battle scenes in here and everything had me on the edge of my seat. The end scenes were brilliant and I was genuinely surprised at every turn.

Tom really found out some big shockers and they have explained a lot of things for him but it has also left me with a whole lot of questions. I think he really came into his own and he really matured as a person. I really enjoyed how he bravely and thoughtfully worked through everything thrown his way.

The Spook's Curse is a shocking thrill ride that is full of action and awesome detailing. The characters are a big mix of brilliance and I can't wait to read more.....

4.5 / 5 Stars!

*Special thanks to Red Fox for the review copy*



2 comments:

  1. This series, even though its aimed at young kids, is amazing. I'll be sorry to see it finished but I'm looking forward to the film!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see you enjoyed this more than the first. I haven't heard much about this series, I have to admit, but you have me super curious now. Lovely review as always, Carly! :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me lovely people! :)