Monday 12 August 2013

The Spook's Secret by Joseph Delaney


Summary from Goodreads

'It's going to be a long, hard, cruel winter and there couldn't be a worse place to spend it.'

As the nights draw in the Spook decides to travel to his winter house. His apprentice, Tom, hates the desolate place. There are feral witches in the cellar, menacing creatures stirring on the nearby moors and a sinister stranger threatening Tom's master.


What does the mysterious stranger want?


Is the Spook's past catching up with him?


And what dangers will Tom face if his master's secrets are revealed?


The third chilling tale in the Wardstone Chronicles, the series that inspired the forthcoming movie The Seventh Son, starring Jeff Bridges, Ben Barnes and Julianne Moore.


Paperback, 463 pages
Published 2009 by Red Fox (first published 2006) 
 
My Review
 
This is the third chilling tale in the Wardstone Chronicles and I truly think the series is going from strength to strength. I love nothing more than to sit down with one of these adventures!

This storyline sees Tom and the Spook traveling to the Spook's winter house in Anglezarke! Things are definitely more dark and dangerous in Anglezarke and Tom will always have to be on his guard. But when a person from the Spook's past turns up making demands, it can only spell trouble!

I really liked Anglezarke, the atmosphere is spooky and I loved seeing Tom operate in a completely new environment. The Spook is hiding quite a few secrets that will prove messy when things take a turn for the worst!

I love Tom, he is brave, thoughtful and I really enjoy watching his character get so much more complex with each book. His relationship with Alice is really strengthening and and it's quite sweet but I really do hope it all doesn't end up in something worse than tears!

We are introduced to lots of vile creatures in this one and some really did make the hairs on my arms stand on end. The Spook's past will cause the pair a lot of trouble but can he manage to put the past behind him for good?

Joseph Delaney writes brilliantly and from the minute I open his books I'm compelled right until the final page. He fills his book with awesome descriptors, dangers, adventure, chills and plenty of twists to keep you on the edge! The Spook's Secret in particular has lots of emotion that really did catch me!

This awesome instalment is a must read for fans of the series. It is packed with mystery, intrigue and lots of surprising moments. I'm already reaching for the next book.....

4/5 Stars!

*Special thanks to Rex Fox for the review copy* 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me lovely people! :)