Friday 16 November 2012

Mystic City by Theo Lawrence


Summary from Goodreads

For fans of Matched, The Hunger Games, X-Men, and Blade Runner comes a tale of a magical city divided, a political rebellion ignited, and a love that was meant to last forever. Book One of the Mystic City Novels.

Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud—and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection—and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city—including herself.



Paperback, 397 pages
Published October 11th 2012 by Corgi (first published October 9th 2012) 
  
 My Review

Mystic City is a fantastic book, full of complex characters and an in-depth twisty storyline that will keep you guessing. I think Theo Lawrence's world building is vividly awesome and I could picture everything perfectly in my head. The writing is also great, the only thing really that annoyed me was main character Aria, I found it a little hard to get a clear picture of her. I think Mystic City is a brilliantly thought out novel that is full of mystery, action, shockers and a beautiful love story that seemed really natural. I loved the whole memory loss thing, I think it was done really well and it really did keep the storyline interesting right up until the very end. I just have to mention the swoon worthy Hunter, he was my favourite character in the book, he has this easy laid-back, charming thing going on *sigh*!
 
Aria Rose awakens after a supposed overdose with a major case of amnesia - or so she has been told! She has a supposed fiance who is part of the Foster family, the Roses and the Fosters have had a warring feud that spans back as far as anyone can remember! This union is going to bring the 2 families together to try and help their chances in the up-coming elections. But everything is not all it seems and it won't be too long before Aria starts to fill in the shocking blanks in her memory!

I'm not about to try and explain everything about the mystics as I will probably do a terrible job and end up rambling on forever, I think the summary  sums up things rather nicely without giving too much away! The ending is filled with action and leaves off rather nicely while still leaving you dying to read the next instalment! Mystic City is a solid start to what I expect will be an awesome new series! Pick up your copy today as I'm pretty sure you will thoroughly enjoy it too!

*Special thanks to Corgi for the review copy*

4/5 Stars

Carly :)


4 comments:

  1. Wow I just remembered that I read about 20% of this during October but got slammed with Wicked. I am going to go back and finish it this weekend. It started out way good !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made the story sound interesting and enticing; the mark of a great review. thanks for sharing
    M.C.V. Egan
    http://thebridgeofdeaths.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite the setbacks with Aria's character, I'm glad you enjoyed this! I have a copy somewhere so I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually. Great review, Carly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always find world-building very important, so it makes me happy that this book has an amazing world. Despite your little problem with Aria, I really like the sound of this book :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me lovely people! :)