Thursday 23 August 2012

Vampire State of Mind by Jane Lovering‏



 Summary
 
Jessica Grant knows vampires only too well. She runs the York Council tracker programme making sure that Otherworlders are all where they should be, keeps the filing in order and drinks far too much coffee. To Jess, vampires are annoying and arrogant and far too sexy for their own good, particularly her ex-colleague Sil, who's now in charge of Otherworld York. But when a demon turns up and threatens not just Jess but the whole world order, she and Sil are forced to work together, and when Jess turns out to be the key to saving the world it puts a very different slant on their relationship. The stakes are high. They are also very, very pointy and Jess isn't afraid to use them, even on the vampire that she's rather afraid she s falling in love with...


Paperback, 288 pages
Published August 7th 2012 by Choc Lit

My Review

Vampire State of Mind is a great kick-start to what I expect will be an amazing new series! Jane Lovering has created a wonderful new world here and I was quickly wrapped up in this beautifully imagined and exciting new world. The writing style is great, very engaging and I all too quickly finished the book. What I enjoyed the most was getting to know main character Jess! She is an intriguing character that I instantly liked, she is strong, witty, packs a punch and best of all loads of snark. I like that Jane Lovering put a band new spin on a vampire tale, Vampire State of Mind has a bit of an Anita Blake feel to it, which fans may enjoy but for me I didn't really like some of the similarities, mainly because I'm a big Anita Blake fan and I didn't want to but I really couldn't help comparing the two at times. But all in all a really great Gothic style book that definitely kicks butt!

Jessica Grant works for York city council, keeping track of all the otherworlders and making sure they are where they should be. She doesn't like or trust vampires and her ex-colleague and vampire Sil is no exception. But the pair are forced to put their differences behind them when a strange otherworlder turns up and threatens not only Jess but the whole freak'in world.

Jess needs to play a big part in saving the world and she is the only one that can do it. She makes some shocking revelations that shatters everything she thought she knew about herself. Can she do what needs to be done to save the world and herself? Well, Sil is definitely not leaving her side even though there is nothing that even a vampire can do about this threat!

The ending is great and the author manages to keep you guessing right up until the end. I found Jess and Sil's relationship a bit wooden and a little forced until the end section of the book then it became more natural. I really can't wait to see where we are going to be taken in any future books in the series, I really hope there will be more.

*Special thanks to ChocLit for the review copy*

3.5/5 Stars

Carly :)

Goodreads Amazon


3 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this before, but it sounds like I need to check it out. I'm glad you thought it was a good start to the series! Brilliant review as always, Carly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this but it's great that you enjoyed it! Sounds like there's some room for improvement on their relationship in the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it fun when the book keeps you guessing right up until the end! I just wish I wasn't so burned out on vamps right now!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me lovely people! :)