Wednesday 19 March 2014

Specials (Uglies #3) by Scott Westerfeld

Summary from Goodreads

Tally thought they were a rumor, but now she's one of them. A Special. A superamped fighting machine, engineered to keep the uglies down and the pretties stupid. 

But maybe being perfectly programmed with strength and focus isn't better than anything she's ever known. Tally still has memories of something else. 


But it's easy for her to tune that out--until she's offered a chance to stamp out the rebels of the New Smoke permanently. It all comes down to one last choice: listen to that tiny, faint heartbeat, or carry out the mission she's programmed to complete. Either way, Tally's world will never be the same.


Paperback, 400 pages
Published May 1st 2012 by Simon & Schuster Children's (first published May 9th 2006) 
My Review

Specials is the 3rd book in the Uglies series and again it has taken directions I never saw coming and had me utterly riveted from beginning to end!

I have been seriously intrigued with all things specials circumstances from I started I started the series, so I was thrilled that this instalment focuses entirely on those terrifying specials! Tally and her group of friends have become a new brand of Specials, very specials Specials. They are deadly, monstrously strong, seriously fast and terrifyingly beautiful. This group of 'Cutters' are not to be messed with.

Tally is sent out on a mission - to put an end to the last of the rebels from the New Smoke. But there is so much more going on out there...something big  and Tally has a nagging feeling that something is really wrong....

I loved how action packed this story was, nobody does those big striking battle scenes quite like Mr Westerfeld - who also managed to pack a big emotional punch in here too. Tally, is totally unstoppable and I loved watching her fight like a machine!

Seeing Tally work on more of a solo mission was really interesting and I think we got to see lots of different sides to her.

I didn't enjoy: The whole cutters thing, why would they cut themselves for clarity? I think it screams the self harm card and it didn't sit too comfortable with me - the author probably didn't intend it to come across that way but I think cutting was an unnecessary part of the story.

Specials is one hell of a ride and it's jam packed with just about everything awesome! Westerfeld writes vivid and in-depth worlds that are so easy to get lost in ...and I love to. Action packed, dangerous, emotional and filled with shockers! Bring on EXTRAS!!

3 / 5 Stars!

*Special thanks to Simon & Schuster for the review copy*


2 comments:

  1. HI, I'm leaving this message in your comments because I have searched both blogs and can not find a contact or email. I was wondering how people get their books to you without a contact? I see you have a lot of followers, however, unless I missed something I can't find a contact.
    In the meantime, I was writing to you to invite you to an event I thought you might be interested in…here's the direct link, please check it out and hopefully you'll be excited to participate..it's a YA Fantasy event/hop…thx for a moment of your time, sorry for the intrusion to your comment page, hope to see you at the event, June

    http://benjaminmctish.blogspot.com/p/global-blog-event.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can contact me here carlylily@live.co.uk

      Delete

Talk to me lovely people! :)