Friday 28 June 2013

The Spook's Apprentice by Joseph Delaney


Summary from Goodreads

'Someone has to stand against the dark. And you're the only one who can.'

For years, the local Spook has been keeping the County safe from evil. Now his time is coming to an end, but who will take over?


Many apprentices have tried . . . Some floundered, some fled, some failed to stay alive. Just one boy is left. Thomas Ward. He is the last hope.


But does he stand a chance against Mother Malkin, the most dangerous witch in the County?


The first chilling tale in the Wardstone Chronicles, the series that inspired the forthcoming movie The Seventh Son, starring Jeff Bridges, Ben Barnes and Julianne Moore.


My Review

The Spook's Apprentice is an awesome start to a series that I have very easily found myself hooked on! 

Joseph Delaney writes fantastically and the world created is very vivid, in-depth and intriguing! The descriptors are rich and I loved every dark and very gruesome scene!

The storyline is quite different from anything I've read before and I really enjoyed getting wrapped up in it! We have Thomas Ward, who is the 7th son of the 7th son, he is the Spook's new apprentice but can he succeed where others have failed? Is he brave enough to keep the county safe from evil?

Poor Thomas' first encounter with a witch only happens to be with Mother Malkin - the most dangerous witch in the whole county! I loved going on these wild and very chilling adventures along side Tom. He has a lot to learn but he needs to do it quickly if he has any hopes of surviving whats to come!

The suspense, mystery and chills kept me on my toes right up until the final pages - where unexpected things happen. The ending itself is great and things have been set up fantastically for the next adventure - thank goodness I already had the next book waiting!

There are so many great characters in this book, two of my favourites:

Mam: She is Thomas' mum and she has so many secrets in her closet that I can't wait to discover. She is a very wise old lady that can always be relied upon for advice.

The Spook: I love the Spook! He is most definitely a force to be reckoned with and he is brimming with knowledge. I know there will be plenty to discover about this interesting man.

The first book in The Wardstone Chronicles is gripping and is filled with chills and thrills. The adventure and mystery will keep you glued to the pages and you will easily find yourself clicking with the characters - A brilliant first book!

4 / 5 Stars!

*Special thanks to Red Fox for the review copy*
 
 
 


1 comment:

Talk to me lovely people! :)