Monday 10 December 2012

Meet me Under the Mistletoe by Abby Clements


Summary from Goodreads

Childhood friends Laurie and Rachel's lives have taken very different paths since they picked up their A-level results together. Laurie is living in London and dedicated to her career, keeping track of her friends on Facebook. Rachel is seemingly living the family idyll in a cottage in Yorkshire - except she worries her marriage is starting to show cracks. When Rachel's mother in law falls ill and needs treatment in London, and Laurie decides she needs to get away for a break, a house swap falls into place. Soon Rachel is braving the mean streets of London while trying to keep her family together, while Laurie tries to figure out how to work an Aga and befriend the locals - and forget the man who seems intent on breaking her heart. Will their relationships survive this test? And will they make it home in time for Christmas?

Paperback, 357 pages
Published October 25th 2012 by Quercus
 
My Review
   
Meet Me Under the Mistletoe really is a remarkable debut from Abby Clements that is full of warm hearted fun and has a lot of sparkle throughout. What I enjoyed the most was the 2 ladies separate stories, while they are best-friends they couldn't be more different. I enjoyed different things about the 2 leading ladies - Laurie, I think went on the biggest journey throughout the book and she learns so much about herself. Rachel, she has a real homely feel about her, which I love. The author has found the perfect balance throughout, keeping things light and fun while still putting in tough situations and lots of emotion. The storyline has a little bit of everything and is brought together so wonderfully by the author, who's writing style is fabulous and highly engaging. I could easily recommend this easy, festive read to everyone.
 
 Rachel and Laurie have been friends from childhood but with life and distance between them they have sort of grown apart over the years. Laurie lives in London and has a high powered job in the fashion world. Rachel lives in the countryside and has 2 wonderful children and a loving husband. But when Rachel's mother-in-law takes ill and has to attend a hospital in London, she asks Laurie would she mind if they came to stay with her. Laurie suggests that they house swap, that way Rachel and her family could be close to the hospital and Laurie could escape her disastrous work mistake and her broken heart
 
Will Rachel's family come out the other side of some terrible family news? Can Laurie overcome her broken heart and make herself relax and take a break for a change?
 
Well, the ending is a really feel good one and I was overall very pleased with the outcome! I love the twists, turns and shockers that fill this storyline and there really was never a dull moment while reading. I can honestly say that I will be picking up Meet Me Under the Mistletoe again - maybe next Christmas, as it has really gotten me in the festive spirit!
 
*Special thanks to Quercus for the review copy*
 
4/5 Stars
 
Carly :)  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review Carly. I love reading festive themed books in December and this book seems like a good choice. I think it is also a good sign that you want to read it again next December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing festive books all week and this one sounds really delightful. I like that part of it is set in London and that it features two different friends from two walks for life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I still want to read a Christmasy read but I don't have time. Sounds like a great book too.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me lovely people! :)