Monday 19 November 2012

The Toymaker by Jeremy de Quidt


Summary from Goodreads

What good is a toy that will wind down? What if you could put a heart in one? A real heart. One that beat and beat and didn't stop. What couldn't you do if you could make a toy like that? From the moment Mathias becomes the owner of a mysterious piece of paper, he is in terrible danger. Entangled in devious plots and pursued by the sinister Doctor Leiter and his devilish toys, Mathias finds himself on a quest to uncover a deadly secret.


Paperback, 356 pages
Published by David Fickling Books

My Review

Wow! I loved The Toymaker, it is bone chillingly good, nail bitingly brilliant and wonderfully edgy! I am a bit of a thrill seeker so this carefully paced thrill ride was the perfect book for me! Jeremy de Quidt writes compellingly, you will be riveted to this un-put-downable book and it will definitely have you holding your breath in places! The characters are awesome but I found my favourite was Valter, a cold, cruel and dangerous dwarf with only one thing on his mind! He will easily give you the creeps and you will always be wondering where he is and if he is watching.... The storyline is so inventive, wonderfully imagined and brought together so well by the author that you will eagerly be searching for your next thrilling fix!

Mathais' world is turned upside-down when his grandfather dies while preforming his conjuring act on stage. Suddenly everyone is interested in his grandfather and his possessions but the thing they are all seeking Mathias holds in his possession, but he has no idea what it is or how much trouble it will cause him. 

Mathias is sold to a man who takes him on a coach through the woods and that's the start of his highly adventurous and shockingly dangerous tale! He will be thrown into dark and dangerous paths and meet some wicked people but still he holds the secret that everyone is desperately searching, but for how long for?

It is so hard not to give anything away so I won't say too much more. The ending is fantastic, satisfying and left off with a creepy little tid-bit just to keep you wondering! I could easily recommend The Toymaker, it is highly memorable and one that I will enjoy reading again and again!

*Special thanks to David Fickling books for the review copy*

4/5 Stars

Carly :)   

4 comments:

  1. I was always most nervous when I didn't know where Valter was lurking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is so haunting! And your review makes me want to read the book!

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover is so creepy, I like it. I would definitely pick it up in the store - and I think I will love it. Nail biting books are always great to read now and then. Valter sounds scary!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like the perfect gripping and thrilling read after something light. I will have to keep this in mind for later! Wonderful review, Carly. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me lovely people! :)