Tuesday 24 July 2012

The Fairytale Keeper - Avenging the Queen by Andrea Cefalo



Summary

Snow White was a pet name her mother had given her, but her mother’s dead now. Adelaide hates that name anyway. A rampant fever claimed Adelaide’s mother just like a thousand others in Cologne where the people die without Last Rites and the dead are dumped in a large pit outside of the city walls. Adelaide’s father is determined to obtain a funeral for his wife, but that requires bribing the parish priest, Father Soren. When Soren commits an unforgivable atrocity, he pushes Adelaide to her breaking point, but if she seeks justice against the cruel priest, she risks sacrificing everything: her father, her friends, her first love, and maybe even her life.


Paperback, 280 pages
Published June 1st 2012 by Scarlet Primrose Press

My Review

I am a huge fan of everything fairytales, so when I read the blurb of this book I knew this was the book for me. The basic storyline is engaging and the book is really well written but I can't help being a little confused, there wasn't much in the book really to do with fairytales, yes they were mentioned but I found it difficult to see how they tied in to the over all story. I don't know how Adelaide 'Snow White' is the Fairytale Keeper, maybe I'm just missing the point. But getting over the confusion the storyline was strong enough without the whole fairytale business, also there is a great set of characters in here that made the overall book all the more interesting and worthwhile. I think this is a good first book from Andrea Cefalo and I'm really glad I had the opportunity to read it.

In the town of Cologne thousands of people are dying of fever, they are dumped in mass graves and the priests refuse to give out last rites or hold funeral services! Adelaide's mother is among the masses to die but her father bribes the local priest 'Father Soren' to preform a funeral service outside the city walls. Father Soren does an unforgivable thing which leaves Adelaide and her father fuming! The city of Cologne is sick and tired of Soren's ways but when pushed to act it puts Adelaide and her father into the spotlight and their lives are endangered.

I really don't want to give too much of the storyline away, but there is tons of action and the ending is fantastic. I like Ivo, Adelaide's love interest, their love for each other is natural, charming and a pleasure to read about. I would definitely want to read the next instalment in the series as I think the author has set things up brilliantly for more amazing things to come.

Overall this is a well written, quick read that has some great action and some really interesting characters!  I really enjoyed it as a whole & I would recommend starting the series!

*Special thanks to the author for the review copy*

3/5 Stars

Carly :)

Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. It's a shame that the fairy tale theme wasn't really part of the book but I'm really glad you were able to enjoy it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books based on fairytales too and the premise for this one is interesting. It's a shame there were moments of confusion at first but I'm glad it turned out to be a good read. Great review, Carly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I guess you can't win them all. Fairy retellings are popping up all over, it is kind of a let own that this didn't meet your expectations. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me lovely people! :)