Monday 9 April 2012

The Alchemy of Forever by Avery Williams



Summary

People say 'love never dies'...but love might be the death of Seraphina. Seraphina has been alive since the Middle Ages, when her boyfriend, Cyrus, managed to perfect a method of alchemy that lets them swap bodies with any human being. She doesn't want to die, so she finds young people who are on the brink of death, and inhabits their bodies. When we meet Sera, she has landed in the body of a girl named Kailey who was about to die in a car accident. For the first time, Sera falls in love with the life of the person she's inhabiting. Sera also falls for the boy next door, Noah. And soon it's clear the feelings are returned. Unfortunately, she can never kiss Noah, because for her to touch lips with a human would mean the human's death. And she has even more to worry about: Cyrus is chasing her, and if she stays in one place for long, she puts herself -and the people she's grown to care for - in danger.

  • Paperback: 256 pages
  • Publisher: Simon & Schuster Childrens Books (26 April 2012)
My Review

Wow, this for me was a real exciting, unique read. I devoured it very quickly as the book is unputdownable once you get started. The pacing is perfect and it reads like a dream. I have read about immortals lots of times before, but The Alchemy of Forever really is in a league of it's own. It is so different from everything else in the genre at the minute, I loved it and I think most people will too.

Seraphina is an immortal, she has roamed the earth for some 700 years. Cyrus is the only person that has known her from her original life and he is also the one that made her the immortal she is today.

When an immortals body burns out, they need to change bodies, so they transfer their life essence (their soul) into a new host and their old bodies turn to dust.

Seraphina is sick of Cyrus' controlling, manipulative ways. So instead of transferring her soul from her tired body to a new hand picked (by Cyrus) one, she runs. She wants to die, having had enough of killing people to inhabit their bodies. But things don't quite go as planned, when she sees a dying girl called Kailey, she tries to save her life but accidentally inhabits her dying body.

But things take a good turn when she realises that Kailey has a good life with great family and friends. She could get used to living the young and vibrant Kailey's life. She even starts falling for one of Kailey's friends, Noah, who lives next door. Life turns out to be great and Sera seems to be adjusting very well to everything Kailey's life entails. But she can't stay too comfortable for long and she should know that.

Cyrus knows her all too well after spending the last 700 years together. He won't let her go easily and is tirelessly searching for her. He is a ruthless person that is used to getting exactly what he wants.

The ending is fantastic and I really wasn't expecting it to end quite like that. I loved this book with it's intriguing storyline, snappy, to the point writing and all round good, likeable characters, not forgetting the venomous ones that you will love to hate. The Alchemy of Forever is a real winner and I really hope there is another book as I am dying to know what's going to happen next.

Add The Alchemy of Forever to your Goodreads shelf today, I highly recommend it.

My favourite character:


Noah: I fell in love with Noah's character from the off. He is likeable, shy, down-to-earth and an all round guy who doesn't let his problems at home ruin his good natured personality.

4.5/5 Stars

Carly :)

*Special thanks to Simon & Schuster for the review copy*

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so good - I know a lot of people love this book and I'm glad to see you enjoyed it too, Carly. :) Great review! I can't wait to read it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my eye on this one for a while so I'm glad you enjoyed it, Carly! :) And what a stunning cover!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me lovely people! :)