Monday 18 August 2014

The Forbidden Library by Django Wexler

Summary from Goodreads

The Forbidden Library kicks off a brand new classic fantasy series perfect for fans of Coraline, Inkheart, and The Books of Elsewhere

Alice always thought fairy tales had happy endings. That--along with everything else--changed the day she met her first fairy

When Alice's father goes down in a shipwreck, she is sent to live with her uncle Geryon--an uncle she's never heard of and knows nothing about. He lives in an enormous manor with a massive library that is off-limits to Alice. But then she meets a talking cat. And even for a rule-follower, when a talking cat sneaks you into a forbidden library and introduces you to an arrogant boy who dares you to open a book, it's hard to resist. Especially if you're a reader to begin with. Soon Alice finds herself INSIDE the book, and the only way out is to defeat the creature imprisoned within.

It seems her uncle is more than he says he is. But then so is Alice.


Hardcover, UK edition, 336 pages
Published April 10th 2014 by Doubleday Childrens (first published April 1st 2014)
 
My Review
 
The Forbidden Library is a highly imaginative tale full of magic, mystery, danger and adventure. It even has talking cats...yes, CATS!! YAY!
 
Picture yourself in a library where danger lurks around every corner and nothing is ever as it seems. Say you were told you were never allowed to enter unattended....could you resist the allure of the hidden secrets it holds? (I couldn't anyway)
 
Alice can't resist and is easily whisked into the deep dark shadows of the library where she faces some of the darkest of creatures. She uncovers some shocking truths but is digging for more, to unravel a mystery of her very own. She is a brave and easily likeable character who's adventures really were quite thrilling! (I'm so glad she wasn't a boy)
 
I loved never knowing what I would encounter around each and every corner and was constantly on edge. I truly felt like I was living inside the pages of this book, accompanying Alice on her dangerous quest. I also liked that you never quite knew who to trust. There were definitely some memorable characters peppered throughout.
 
All in all, I think this is a fantastically thrilling tale that I believe will capture the imaginations of old and young alike. Oh, how I wish I could loose myself in the library...I can't wait for my next visit!
 
4/5 Stars
 
*Special thanks to Doubleday for the review copy*
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me lovely people! :)