Saturday 3 May 2014

Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris

Summary from Goodreads

Welcome to Midnight, Texas, a town with many boarded-up windows and few full-time inhabitants, located at the crossing of Witch Light Road and Davy Road. It's a pretty standard dried-up western town.

There's a pawnshop (where someone lives in the basement and runs the store during the night). There's a diner (although those folk who are just passing through tend not to linger). And there's new resident: Manfred Bernardo, who thinks he's found the perfect place to work in private (and who has secrets of his own).

If you stop at the one traffic light in town, then everything looks normal. But if you stay a while, you might learn the truth . . .


Hardcover, 320 pages
Expected publication: May 8th 2014 by Gollancz (first published May 6th 2014) 


Book Trailer


My Review
 
When it was announced that Charlaine Harris was writing this new series - I could hardly contain my excitement! I'm a huge fan and am proud to say that I've read everything (I hope) she has published. Believe it or not, I think her Lily Bard Mysteries are truly her best work - so I was over the moon that she was writing another cosy small town mystery, with a supernatural kick of course!
 
What made Midnight Crossroad so undeniably brilliant were it's characters. I loved each colourful character, everyone was stand out brilliant and very individual. I really loved that some of the memorable characters from Charlaine's other worlds are nestled safely here in Midnight. I had a bit of a soft spot for a certain cat....who may or may not be called Mr Snugly.
 
The small town of Midnight is a place where people tend to just pass through. It's residents all seem to be hiding something, but the great thing about Midnight is the unspoken rule about not asking personal questions. Everyone lives alongside each other rather harmoniously....until the residents stumble upon the body of Bobo's girlfriend.
 
Along with the serious and sometimes darker issues in the storyline, there are also lots of little hints of humour. I really love how the residents pull together to help each other out...by any means necessary. Everyone has a past and our resident's are super interesting - some are more intriguing than others and I hope we discover so much more in future books.
 
I really did like the storyline with it's unexpected twists and surprises. But, I found it veered a little wildly towards the middle and it dragged in some places. Everything picked up so much more towards the end though.
 
Midnight Crossroad is an unforgettable kick-start to a fresh and very exciting new series. Harris is at her best writing small town mysteries and this one slides into that bracket nicely. The characters bounce right off the page and are larger than life. The little character sub-plots are already heading in an exciting direction. I think I'd rather like to stay a little while longer in the alluring Midnight - I can't wait for my next visit!
 
4 / 5 Stars
 
*Special thanks to Gollancz for the review copy*
 
 









Check out an Excerpt

1 comment:

Talk to me lovely people! :)