Monday 3 March 2014

The Pretenders (Cemetery Girl #1) by Charlaine Harris & Christopher Golden

Summary from Goodreads

Calexa Rose Dunhill was just fourteen when she woke in a cemetery. Bruised, bloody and left for dead, with no memory of her previous life, she took a new name from the headstones that surrounded her.

Now, three years on, Calexa still lives in Dunhill Cemetery, struggling with the desire to know her true identity – and the all-consuming fear of what she might discover when she does.

Then, when she witnesses a gang of teenagers staging a stunt that goes horribly, fatally wrong, Calexa Rose Dunhill discovers she has a unique ability. One she cannot control…


Paperback, 120 pages
Published January 2nd 2014 by Jo Fletcher Books 


 My Review
 
I'm not usually a big fan of graphic novels, but Charlaine Harris super fan that I am, I just had to read this - and it totally rocked!
 
There is so much detailing to this story and I adored loosing myself to all of it's thrilling little moments. Calexa, is such an interesting character who's past is intriguing and just begs to be uncovered!
 
There is a big air of mystery surrounding this story and I loved how it kept me guessing. There were also chilling, thrilling and super creepy moments. I really enjoyed the ghostly scenes and I can't wait to see how that develops in future books.
 
The artwork is first class and everything played out vividly and with so much detailing across the pages. It was dark and brooding - I think it really created the perfect atmospheric cemetery scenes. I particularly liked how Calexa sprints and leaps across the headstones.
 
Cemetery Girl is a complex graphic novel that is totally gripping and full of suspense. You will not want to put it down and if you're anything like me you will be flipping back and forth marvelling at how spectacular everything looks. I really can't wait to see how Calexa's story unfolds in the next book - which I am already itching for!

4 / 5 Stars!

*Special thanks to Jo Fletcher Books for the review copy*


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me lovely people! :)