Monday 10 February 2014

The Spook's Revenge by Joseph Delaney

Summary from Goodreads

'He's the seventh son of a seventh son. His name is Thomas J. Ward and he's my gift to the County. When he's old enough we'll send you word. Train him well. He'll be the best apprentice you've ever had and he'll also be your last.'

These were the words of Tom's Mam to the county Spook some years ago. As Tom, the Spook and their allies prepare to battle with the Fiend on a huge scale, to finally enact their revenge, it now remains to be seen whether Mam's declaration will come true.


Hardcover, 336 pages
Published December 5th 2013 by Bodley Head

My Review

Aw, what a bitter-sweet moment this is! I have lived and breathed this epic series and I'm very sad to see it coming to an end - but what a conclusion it was!

The tone to this final instalment has changed somewhat slightly from previous books and I think it's mainly to do with the change in Tom himself! He has grown into such a mature, likeable and very smart young man and he had to change to do his masters tasks that he is no longer able.

The storyline follows the lead up to the ritual of finally destroying the Fiend, there is raging battle scenes, heartbreaking moments, shocking betrayals, twisty turns and stacks of emotion. I think Mr Delaney's climax is utterly faultless.

I did have a few personal issues regarding some characters, mainly Alice *sigh*. I just can't believe the turning of events!

I got so emotional at the loss of a character I knew it was coming...but it still hurt - it was portrayed beautifully though,

I'm not going to lie, I *happy danced* around the room when I read that Delaney is going to be publishing a brand new series, that has Tom nestled among it's pages - YES! I wasn't ready to let him go and I'm super happy that the author has a new story for him.

All in all, The Spook's Revenge wasn't a perfect conclusion but I was pretty happy with it. It has all the usual thrills and chills that you can expect from a Delaney book and if I'm honest I just can't wait to start the whole series all over again. If you haven't read these books yet than you are seriously missing out - plus the movie is soon - eeekkk!

4 / 5 Stars!

*Special thanks to Bodley Head for the review copy*



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me lovely people! :)