Thursday 13 February 2014

The Language of Dying by Sarah Pinborough

Summary from Goodreads

Tonight is a special, terrible night. A woman sits at her father's bedside watching the clock tick away the last hours of his life. Her brothers and sisters - all traumatised in their own ways, their bonds fragile - have been there for the past week, but now she is alone. And that's always when it comes. As the clock ticks in the darkness, she can only wait for it to find her...

Hardcover, 144 pages
Published December 5th 2013 by Jo Fletcher Books (first published 2009)

My Review

I just don't know how to explain how this book made me feel - it's like I stumbled upon something not quite like what I was expecting and completely loosing myself to it's beauty. In the end I knew that I truly had held something very special in my hands!

I think this is a bravely told story, brave because it's honest and a lot of people will relate to the thoughts and feelings that they may feel guilty for - but in here it's laid bare and it's really refreshing.

Pinborough very subtly and thoughtfully takes the reader through the dying process of a woman's father. The comings and goings of her brothers and sister show how cracked this family really is, but death doesn't bond them or bring them together, it pushes them further apart as they handle things in their own ways.

This story burrowed away at me and gave me a lot of pause for thought. I think it's how vividly it's painted, it really makes you seem involved in the happenings. The Language of Dying is a stand out read - one that I know will stick with me for many years to come.

5 /5 Stars

*Special thanks to Jo Fletcher Books for the review copy*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me lovely people! :)