Monday 2 September 2013

The Spook's Battle by Joseph Delaney‏


Summary from Goodreads

Warning: Not to be read after dark

'I see your future clearly. Your master will be dead and you will be alone.'

The Spook and his apprentice protect County from the dark abut now a terrible danger threatens.

The witches are rising and the three most powerful clans are uniting to conjure an unimaginable evil - the Devil himself.

If they succeed, will Tom and his master have the courage and cunning to defeat the most powerful enemy of all...?


Paperback, 514 pages
Published 2009 by Red Fox (first published January 1st 2007) 
 
My Review
 
This is the 4th book in the Wardstone Chronicles and it's yet again another great instalment!

Things take on a darker turn when Tom journeys to Pendle to take on the deadly witch covens. They have wicked plans to unleash the most powerful enemy the county has ever seen!

I loved the dark and very dangerous creatures that we were introduced to in this one and there just seemed to be one twist after another throughout. I couldn't help feeling that this book was mostly for setting things up for awesome things to come in future books. Another thing that annoyed me a little bit - The Spook wasn't in this one as much as I would of liked (I love him). Saying that I still really enjoyed this.

Joseph Delaney's writing will very easily enthrall readers, every time I open one of his books I am transported into his, dark, vivid world that is so easy to loose yourself in. I actually haven't been so in love with a series since Harry Potter!

We are introduced to lots of new characters but the one that stood out for me:

Mab: She is rotten to the core but sometimes something slips and you can see a chink in her tough armour! She is hard and ready for anything! I enjoyed her dark and sneaky deeds a lot!

The ending itself was nail bitingly brilliant and I was on the very edge watching people run and fight for their lives.

I won't say too much more because I wouldn't want to spoil anything for anybody.

The Spook's Battle is an action packed, twisty, page turner that is brimmed with chills and thrills to keep you hooked - a definite must read for fans of the first 3 books!

3.5 / 5 Stars!

*Special thanks to Red Fox for the review copy*

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me lovely people! :)