Monday 17 June 2013

Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris‏


Summary from Goodreads

Sookie Stackhouse has one last adventure in store.

Life has taken her from a waitress in Merlotte’s Bar, Bon Temps, to part owner; from social outcast to the heart of her community; from a vampire’s girlfriend to the wife of one of the most powerful vampires in the state. She has survived earthquakes, revolutions and attempts on her life. Sookie has endured betrayal, heartbreak and grief . . . and she has emerged a little stronger, and little wiser, every time.

But with life comes new trials . . .

The question is, in the end: who will love, who will live, and who will be dead ever after?

Sookie finds it easy to turn down the request of former barmaid Arlene when she wants her job back at Merlotte’s. After all, Arlene tried to have Sookie killed. But her relationship with Eric Northman is not so clearcut. He and his vampires are keeping their distance…and a cold silence. And when Sookie learns the reason why, she is devastated. Then a shocking murder rocks Bon Temps, and Sookie is arrested for the crime. But the evidence against Sookie is weak, and she makes bail. Investigating the killing, she’ll learn that what passes for truth in Bon Temps is only a convenient lie. What passes for justice is more spilled blood. And what passes for love is never enough...



Hardcover, 1st edition, 338 pages
Published May 7th 2013 by Victor Gollancz
 
My Review
 
Aw, I just don't know where to start! I loved it, hated it, wanted to throw it up the wall and I ended up feeling like I'd lost something precious because I'm never again going to go on any wild adventures with Miss Sookie Stackhouse!

Everyone's been banging on about the ending and I think the people who have been nasty to Charlaine are just plain rude! Okay, I'll be honest the outcome wasn't what I was hoping for myself but it was a good ending never the less. Charlaine Harris has lived with Sookie for (I think) 15 years, so I trust her to know what is right for her characters. Lets face it - she couldn't possibly please everyone! So, that's that rant over.... :)

Dead Ever After managed to tie up a lot of loose ends, which I was quite thankful for. It picks up right after the shocking events at the end of Deadlocked and the action was on right up until the very end! That's what I love most about Sookie - there's never a dull moment, the poor gal never gets a break and there's always a mystery to unravel.

I really liked how we got to see a little bit of everybody and the arrival of a certain tiger made this gal very happy indeed. Eric grated on my nerves (which is shocking) even though we got to see very little of him.

I actually enjoyed each disaster in this book and even though Charlaine's writing lost a little of it's sparkle, it still managed to shine for this final instalment. If you are a fan of the series I would definitely recommend reading Dead Ever After!

3 / 5 Stars!

*Special thanks to Gollancz for the review copy*


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me lovely people! :)