Monday 6 May 2013

Poison by Sarah Pinborough‏


Summary from Goodreads

A beautiful, sexy, contemporary retelling of the classic Snow White fairy tale, illustrated by Les Edwards.

POISON is a beautifully illustrated retelling of the Snow White story which takes all the elements of the classic fairytale that we love (the handsome prince, the jealous queen, the beautiful girl and, of course, the poisoning) and puts a modern spin on the characters, their motives and their desires. It's fun, contemporary, sexy, and perfect for fans of ONCE UPON A TIME, GRIMM, SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN and more.



Hardcover, 200 pages
Published April 18th 2013 by Gollancz

My Review

Fairy tales are my thing but sometimes a retelling doesn't quite hit the mark, but I am so pleased to announce that Poison is an absolutely stunning story that I couldn't read fast enough. It ended up being one of them 1 day reads that I love so much.

Sarah Pinborough strays true to the classic tale of Snow White but has managed to put her own very sexy stamp all over it. It's dark, dangerous, thrilling, adventurous and devilishly sexy. Snow White has been morphed into my kinda gal and she really isn't so white after all. Everything is twisted so beautifully and the richly imagined world is very easy to fall into.

Sarah has very cleverly incorporated some other fairy tales throughout and I was delighted to stumble upon a candy house in a dark forest within these pages.

The storyline follows the kingdom's beloved Snow White and the dangers she faces when her stepmother decides marrying her off won't do, she has to have her heart!

I actually loved the wicked but very intriguing stepmother, who wasn't all that older than Snow. She is beautiful but deadly and would rather be feared than loved. She is jealous of Snow and sneaks off to her hidden sanctuary, which I found rather human but what she plots in there is anything but sunny.

This is a highly addictive and very moreish book from a fabulous author that I just wish I had discovered sooner. I really cannot contain my excitement for the next book Charmed!

A BIG 5 Stars!

*Special thanks to Gollancz for the review copy*

Carly :)

3 comments:

  1. Fairy re-tellings are a lot of fun and I don't think I have read one of Snow White so your review definitely has my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the book cover design!! It so goes with Poison!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touche. Great arguments. Keep up the amazing effort.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me lovely people! :)