Sunday 19 May 2013

Don't Fear the Reaper by Michelle Muto - Book Spotlight

Don't Fear the Reaper by Michelle Muto

Haunted by memories of her murdered twin, Keely Morrison is convinced suicide is her only ticket to eternal peace. But in death, she discovers the afterlife is nothing like she expected. Instead of peaceful oblivion or a joyful reunion with her sister, Keely is trapped in a netherworld on Earth with only a bounty-hunting reaper and a sarcastic demon to show her the ropes.

When the demon offers Keely her ultimate temptation--revenge on her sister's killer--she must determine who she can trust. Because, as Keely soon learns, the reaper and demon have been keeping secrets and she fears the worst is true--that her every decision changes how, and with whom, she spends eternity.
From Keely's point of view:

I half-seethed, half-quivered over Daniel’s statement. “Gee, asshole. I’m so sorry I’m dead.” 
 
Daniel smiled ever so faintly, and I wanted to hit him.
 
“I get it, Daniel. I really do. You don’t like me. Well, I don’t like you, either.”
 
He grabbed my shirt and pulled me within inches of his face. He smelled like a bonfire—a woodsy smell with an earthy weight to it. His irises flickered red—I thought I’d imagined it before, but up close there was no mistaking it.
 
“At least I hung in there,” he said, breathing onto my face. “Something you couldn’t do.”
 
So, this was it—the reason he seemed to hate me so much. “Oh, I suppose you ended up as a demon because you were so perfect.”
 
Lame. Totally lame. But he’d caught me off-guard and I had nothing to say, really. He was right. I hadn’t bothered to stick around. 
 
He studied my face, my mouth, and I hoped he couldn’t feel my heart pounding with fear. He let go of me.
 
“Jerk,” I muttered softly, turning away from him. I started off in search of Banning. 
 
Behind me, Daniel applauded. Hurt and furious, I spun around to glare at him.
 
“Congrats,” he said. “It’s about time. I was beginning to wonder about you. Purgatory is a nasty place for newbies like you, all weak and grieving. But I figured with the way you killed yourself, you had to have spunk somewhere.”
 
Damn him! Daniel had baited me and I had been foolish enough to fall for it. “Well, I’m glad you find this so amusing.” I wheeled around to continue my search for Banning.
 
“Wait!” he said, catching up to me. I backed up into a wall. “Chill, all right? I just didn’t want you to keep crying, so I figured if you got mad, you’d move on to the next step of the whole acceptance thing.”
 
I didn’t answer.
 
“Come on! You were bound to head that direction anyway. Just saving you some time.” 
 
He gently touched my arm. I didn’t move, didn’t speak. Why did he have to be so mean?
 
“So, you want to find your sister’s killer, or what? That is why you were so interested in what I did to that kid back there, right?”
 
Had I been that easy to read? More than anything I could think of, I wanted my sister. But I wanted to avenge her death almost as much. I raised an eyebrow. “I suppose you know where Peter Fagan is?”
 
Something in his dark eyes ignited, something akin to flint on stone. “I know a lot of things. I know that he was never officially charged. So far, the cops haven’t found enough clear-cut evidence to keep him in jail and he’s out free—for now. He’s staying in the area, but not at his house. I also know you haven’t been dead long enough to do anything you’d like to do to this guy without a little demonic assistance. So, what do you say? Let me help.”
 
I continued to stare at him, unable to come up with a single counterpoint. 
 
“And maybe you’d like a few leads on where your sister might be while we’re at it.”
 
He had my complete attention. 
  
Author Bio
 
 
 Writer of urban fantasy, the paranormal, and all things eerie and curious. Lover of scary books and funny movies, sports cars, chocolate, and changes of season. Owned by two incredible dogs and an iMac. Author, wife, sister, freelance tech writer, and IT geek.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me lovely people! :)