Thursday 28 February 2013

Sever (The Chemical Garden #3) by Lauren DeStefano


Summary from Goodreads

With the clock ticking until the virus takes its toll, Rhine is desperate for answers. After enduring Vaughn’s worst, Rhine finds an unlikely ally in his brother, an eccentric inventor named Reed. She takes refuge in his dilapidated house, though the people she left behind refuse to stay in the past. While Gabriel haunts Rhine’s memories, Cecily is determined to be at Rhine’s side, even if Linden’s feelings are still caught between them.

Meanwhile, Rowan’s growing involvement in an underground resistance compels Rhine to reach him before he does something that cannot be undone. But what she discovers along the way has alarming implications for her future—and about the past her parents never had the chance to explain.

In this breathtaking conclusion to Lauren DeStefano’s Chemical Garden trilogy, everything Rhine knows to be true will be irrevocably shattered.


Paperback: 320 pages 
Publisher: Harper Voyager (14 Feb 2013)

My Review

I have been putting off writing my review for Sever, because it was so awesome that I have no words, no sensible ones anyway - I'm a gibbering mess! So I apologise in advance for rambling and gushing over this book!

I adored everything about Sever, don't get me wrong, there were shockers in here that made me want to throw the book up the wall (I didn't though *strokes cover lovingly*). I was constantly thinking, WOW I can't believe that just happened! I actually couldn't flip the pages fast enough and was even reading it by torch light at night (so I wouldn't wake up baby).

Back when I first picked up Wither, I remember thinking - well that was a little disturbing! But that's the total beauty of it, Lauren DeStefano makes everything feel so real! I honestly felt like I was living inside the book with the wonderful Rhine!

What I enjoyed the most about this final instalment was the gut wrenching emotion that was packed into every page! No I did NOT cry..........much! I was taken on a roller-coaster ride of emotions throughout but the saddest times were the best - is that a little weird?!

Lauren's writing is simply stunning, I really do love to get wrapped up in her beautiful words! They are crisp, clean, wonderfully described and always on point - everything is necessary in Lauren's writing and there is never any dragging page fillers.

I will not even try to sum up this book because I'm terrified of giving something crucial away and ruining it for people! I would love to say "Hey, this is what shocked me the most or this is what made me have a sniffle" but I will let you all discover the beauty of Sever for yourselves.

I loved how everything clicked into place by the end of the book. The ending is very surprising and I loved it - that's all I will say on the matter.

I will truly miss this wonderfully crafted world, the fantastic characters and the cruel ones. All that's left for me to do is thank Lauren DeStefano for sharing this stunning trilogy with the world!

I will be keeping a beady eye out for her new book....

5/5 Stars!

*Special thanks to Harper Voyager for the review copy*

Carly :) 



4 comments:

  1. I'm glad that this was a great end to the series for you. It looks like most people have been impressed with this book so far. I still need to pick up #2! Great review, Carly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this whole series. I have had it on my radar forever and I really really want to get into it, and now I think I will very soon since I can race through them all at once and avoid the cliffhangers. Ahh I remember those days of not wanting to wake the baby. I used flameless candles. My husband got me a kindle with a backlight for Christmas and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Carly! I read book 1 and realised it just wasn't for me, which was sad after all the good things I've heard. I am happy to know that you enjoyed this and found it a good end to the series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I woulԁ like to thanκ уоu for the efforts you've put in penning this site. I'm hοpіng to checκ
    out the ѕаme high-grade blοg poѕtѕ by you
    later on аѕ ωell. In fact, your crеative wrіting аbilitіes
    hаs encouгageԁ mе to get my own
    blog noω ;)

    Mу web sіte - kate dircksen

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me lovely people! :)