Monday 29 October 2012

Rapture by J.R. Ward


Summary from Goodreads

Mels Carmichael, reporter for the Caldwell Courier Journal, gets the shock of her life when a man stumbles in front of her car outside the local cemetery. After the accident, his amnesia is just the kind of mystery she likes to solve, but she soon discovers they're over their heads with his past. Over their heads with passion, too ...As shadows walk the line between reality and another realm, and her lover's memory begins to come back, the two of them learn that nothing is truly dead and buried. Especially when you're trapped in a no-holds-barred war between angels and demons. With a soul on the line, and Mels's heart at risk, what in heaven - or in hell - will it take to save them both?

After reporter Mels Carmichael hits a disheveled man with her car
outside the local cemetery, she pays a visit to the stranger in the hospital. The only thing he remembers of his past is seeing a name written on a headstone: that of Jim Heron—a fallen angel charged with rescuing souls from the seven deadly sins. Now, as Mels struggles to help this mysterious stranger rediscover himself, Heron himself returns to prepare for a battle between good and evil.

Paperback, 502 pages
Published September 25th 2012 by Piatkus Books 

 My Review
 
I adored this book! I think it is the best out of the series so far. As always Ward's writing style is fantastic, she has a real way with words and can emotionally involve the reader while still managing to make you laugh out loud with her witty but raw humour! I think the main character Jim was taken to another level in this instalment and we see another side to him, which was nice. I was a little annoyed we didn't hear more from the archangels as I always love their chapters, I really hope we get lots more from them in the next book. The storyline is brilliant and I think Ward does beautifully broken men the best and the main man in this definitely fits that bill! There were lots of twists and turns in here and as always tons of kick-butt action - which I love!  I loved the raw emotion in this instalment but most of all the beautiful love story which wasn't perfect in any shape or form, it was real! It is so hard for me to praise this book without dropping in a couple of F-bombs in true Warden style but I will leave you with these 2 words - Flipping fantastic!

Mels Carmichael is a reporter for the Caldwell Courier Journal, she doesn't get the best stories to work on and she has really just been chugging along in life after the death of her father! On the way home from working late in the office she hits a man with her car outside a cemetery. She manages to track the man down in hospital and it turns out he is suffering from amnesia. Mels finds herself drawn to this scarred man and she is eager to discover the mystery surrounding him, so she offers to help. She soon finds herself in way over her head with the dangerous things hidden in his past but the most shocking thing of all is, she is falling for this man hard....

The man's soul is in play in the deadly war going on between angel and demon! Who will manage to win the battle in this round? Well it really could go either way when the mans memory starts to return and he learns that he was once a very twisted individual!
 
I thought the ending was amazing, I was loving the whole nail biting run up to it then I was thrilled with the outcome. I really can't seem to get enough of these moreish angels and I think Adrian is simply swoon worthy! Devina as always is wickedly awesome, she is a character that I really do love to hate! This is another must read instalment from J.R. Ward and I am already excited for the next book!
 
*Special thanks to Piatkus for the review copy*
 
4.5 / 5 Stars
 
Carly :)


4 comments:

  1. Why haven't I read a Ward book? We must rectify this immediately but where do I start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really need to Heidi!! Start with Dark Lover although isn't the best in the series you really need to read it first. Or Covet as The Angels series is shorter than the Blackdagger Brotherhood one but not as good. :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read anything by this author but I feel like I need to soon after all the great things I've heard. Glad you enjoyed this, Carly! amazing review as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give some of her works a go, Sam! They really are brilliant. :)

      Delete

Talk to me lovely people! :)