Wednesday 24 October 2012

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter


Summary from Goodreads

She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….


I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.
I'd tell my sister no.
I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.
Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.
I'd tell them I love them.
I wish... Yeah, I wish.


Paperback, 404 pages
Published October 5th 2012 by MIRA INK (first published September 25th 2012) 


My Review

-"A slight breeze danced twigs and leaves together, adding a sense of eerie to the loveliness."


This book for me was simply perfect! I adored everything about it from start to finish as it really did have everything, zombies - which I am just a little bit obsessed about, a super sexy bad boy that will have you swooning from the off, a kick-butt main character that is instantly like-able, a fabulous collection of secondary characters and awesome world building which you can always expect from Gena Showalter! I love the writing, it was full of emotion, tension, humour and wonderful descriptors that had me glued to those pages. This is definitely not your typical zombie tale, it has it's own unique twists which are awesome. The storyline itself has so many highs, lows, twists and turns that there is never a dull moment and you will never know what to expect next!

Alice Bell's life is torn apart when her mum, dad and little sister die tragically. Alice's dad believed in monsters that come out at night, he was genuinely terrified and wouldn't let anybody leave the house after dark, Alice always though he was a bit mad! But when she sees one of the monsters for herself she starts to believe all the things he once told her.

Alice has to move into her grandparents house and she starts a new school. In the school there is a group of bad boys and girls that most people are seriously frightened of, but when Alice claps eyes on the baddest of the lot (Cole) for the first time, lets just say there are fireworks! Alice is flung into a dangerous world she never could of imagined existed and if she has any hopes of surviving she must learn to fight the mindless zombies!

This book is perfectly paced and the lead up to the ending is butt-kickingly intense, the ending itself is fab and I really did love every awesome second! I seriously don't want to wait another year for the next instalment, next October really can't come fast enough for me! Overall Alice in Zombieland is a fast paced thrill ride that is fabulously written with the most fantastic characters, not forgetting the whirlwind of emotions you will experience throughout. I urge everyone to pick up this book today because I really can't praise it enough!

*Special thanks to Mira Ink for the review copy*

5/5 Stars

Carly :)


4 comments:

  1. Wow, I have only read really negative reviews for this book so far so I was really surprised by your review but I think it's great, because there will always be people who like books and people who don't :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant review - this sounds like my kind of read! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imstill really want it read this one! I know there are good and bad reviews, but I like the orginal take on zombies. .i have a copy and it is waiting for me....just need time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this too! I'm glad you're a fan of this book. It hasn't been getting the best of reviews so I'm happy to see a positive one for a change. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me lovely people! :)