Tuesday 7 August 2012

School of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari



Summary

Madeleine Masterson is deathly afraid of bugs, especially spiders.
Theodore Bartholomew is petrified of dying.
Lulu Punchalower is scared of confined spaces.
Garrison Feldman is terrified of deep water.


Which is why this may be the scariest summer of their lives. Worse than detention or summer school. Worse even than the dentist. The foursome must face their phobias head-on at the exclusive and elusive School of Fear. The school is unusual, to say the least. But 'terrifying' would be a more accurate description.
The curriculum is simple: Conquer your fears in six weeks or find out just how frightening failing can be.

Publication Date: 02/08/2012
ISBN: 9781907411663
Format: Paperback
RRP: £5.99

My Review

School of Fear is a highly addictive kick-start to what I expect will be a super-fun new series! I was pulled into this different storyline from the start and the tons of fun and silliness kept me entertained throughout. There is four brilliantly quirky characters that are extremely well crafted, they really did make the book for me. Gitty Daneshvari writes fabulously and I think anyone who picks up School of Fear will see that for themselves, you will probably find it as un-put-downable as myself.

There are four students who really couldn't be more different except for one thing, they all have a phobia that rules their lives. Madeleine is afraid of bugs, Theodre is terrified of dying, Lulu is scared of confined spaces and Garrison is petrified of deep water. They have been adapting their lives around their phobias forever, so when they have a chance to enrol at the hushed up School of Fear, they jump at the chance to rid themselves of their phobias.

The foursome head to exclusive school, that just happens to be in the middle of nowhere. They are forced to face their fears head on if there is any hopes of them completing the course. But their teacher is a batty old lady that doesn't seem to know her left from right! Will they be able to pass their course in time? Well, they will need to as they are thrown into some seriously frightening circumstances that will need them to be fearless!

The ending of this is so unexpectedly fun, I really did laugh out loud! There really is so many amazing little twists and turns throughout the story that you will be rushing to get to the end. I would recommend this brilliant first instalment to people of all ages and I really can't wait to get my paws on the next book in the adventures 'School of Fear - Class is Not Dismissed.'

4/5 Stars

*Special thanks to Atom Books for the review copy*

Carly :)

Amazon Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Ohh this sounds like a good start to a fun series. I don't think I have heard of this book before so thanks for drawing it to my attention. Lovely review as always, Carly! I'm glad you enjoyed this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea except I would hate to have to face my worst fears: being alone, grasshoppers and snakes! Yikes! This looks like a great series for middle graders. I am going to put it on my list for books for my kids down the road!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me lovely people! :)