Thursday 31 May 2012

Starters by Lissa Price



Summary


First, Callie lost her parents.

Then she lost her home.

And, finally, she lost her body.

But she will stop at nothing to get it back...



My review 


The whole premise for Starters really intrigued me and drew me in from the off. I think the whole idea is genius and the author really has brought something very exciting to the table here. I will admit that sometimes the storyline and the writing felt a bit cold, for lack of a better word and it didn't hook me in as much as other parts of the book. But all in all a fabulous first book that is very different, shocking and a really chillingly creepy version of the future. I would of liked more back-round information about how the war started, about vaccinations and why enders lived so long, but perhaps there will be more information in the next book. The characters are very interesting and I found my self wondering about about the back-round stories about some of the more sinister ones.

Main character Callie, her brother Tyler and best-friend Michael are unclaimed minors. They are constantly on the run and are looking over their shoulders at every turn. They have to fight off renegades, who will steal any food and belongings they own. Tyler is sick and Callie needs money to try and get him the medicine he needs. So with nothing left for her to do she turns to the body banks.  

Prime Destinations (the body bank) is a secret business for the extremely wealthy. Enders (old people) of around 100+ pay large sums of money to inhabit bodies of teenagers, they rent the bodies and do with them what they please for long periods of time. Callie gets primped and preened and is sent out on her first rental with no problems. But when she goes out on her second rental things start to go horribly wrong. 

The lady renting Callie's body is planning to use her to murder. Callie is stuck in limbo not having full control of her body at all times and she is afraid of returning to the body bank. She finds out that something sinister is in the works involving missing teenagers and the body bank. As horrified as she is with the idea of killing someone, the reasons behind it are even more horrifying. Will Callie help the lady who wants to use her body for murder? 

The ending is fabulous, I had an inkling about one part of it throughout the second part of the book, that's all I can say. I was shocked on so many levels, tense, on the edge of my seat and man, that cliffhanger at the end was brilliantly cruel. I cannot wait to get my hands on Enders, which is out winter 2012. 

Book Cover Lover Alert: Oh and I just have to mention that amazing cover which I have some serious love for. Isn't it just awesome? 

Add it on Goodreads  

*Special thanks to Doubleday for the review copy* 

4/5 Stars  

Carly :)

3 comments:

  1. After that ending, I'm eager to read the next book. Great review, Carly! I enjoyed this too but had a few issues with it. I'm glad to see you had a better time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! similar to mine...this book was interesting and i'm curious to what the next will be about.

    ~Shane @Itchingforbooks.blogspot.com
    New Follower

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all your points. I enjoyed this book despite my annoyance with the lack of detail. Incredibly creepy and different. The ending, I know, what a shock! I can't wait to read Enders!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me lovely people! :)