Monday 14 May 2012

Goddess Girls - Athena the Brain by Joan Holub & Suzanne Williams


 Summary

Athena has always been above average. She's never quite fit in at Triton Junior High, but who would've guessed that Athena is actually a goddess? Principal Zeus's daughter, to be exact. When she's summoned to Mount Olympus Academy, Athena thinks she might actually fit in for the first time in her life. But in some ways, school on Mount Olympus is not that different from down on Earth, and Athena is going to have to deal with the baddest mean girl in history — Medusa! Authors Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams put a modern spin on classic myths with the Goddess Girls series. Follow the ins and outs of divine social life at Mount Olympus Academy, where the most privileged godboys and goddessgirls in the Greek pantheon hone their mythical skills.

Paperback: 176 pages 
Publisher: Atom (3 May 2012)

My Review

Athena the Brain is the first book in the brand new Goddess Girls series. I really enjoyed the storyline, the authors have put in some very witty dialogue that had me tittering away while reading. There is some great world building and really good twists on Greek Mythology.

Athena always knew she was a little different, so when she is summoned to Mount Olympus Academy and told she is the daughter of Zeus, it isn't exactly a big shocker. Athena packs up her things and heads to her new school in Mount Olympus Academy to learn to be a real Goddess Girl.

Athena's first day of school doesn't exactly go well. The usually brainy Athena is feeling a little lost, with all the wonderful new things she is learning. But Athena also makes an enemy of the worst mean girl in history, the one and only Medusa.

Will Athena be able to cope with all the pressures of her new school life? Well she is super brainy and she is nice, funny and makes friends easily, so she might just get by OK.

I love how cleaver the authors are, bringing in old things from history like : How Medusa was able to turn things to stone and the existence of Olives, and making a fun twist out of everything.

Unfortunately I feel like Athena the Brain is missing a little something, a little sparkle that I can't quite put my finger on. But all in all a fantastic kick start to the Goddess Girls series and I cannot wait to start the second book 'Persephone The Phony.' I would recommend Athena the Brain to all girls 8+, who I think will enjoy this humorous, quick read.

*Special thanks to Atom books for the review copy*

3/5 Stars

Carly :)

3 comments:

  1. This looks so cute! Looks like the Greek myths are invading books in all age groups. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting book,I like title and the cover.Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am working with the author Joan for a guest post in July. I have been curious about this series and I will be reading it soon. I hope I enjoy it, I think it gets better as it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me lovely people! :)