Tuesday 13 March 2012

Vampire Diaries : The Hunters - Phantom



Since meeting vampire brothers, Stefan and Damon Salvatore, Elena Gilbert has been to hell and back. Now that she and her friends have saved their hometown from a demonic spirit, everything can finally go back to normal.

But Elena should know better than anyone that Fell's Church will never be normal. In PHANTOM, a dangerous new other-worldly threat sets its sights on Elena. And this time she can only count on one Salvatore brother to protect her.

 Paperback: 432 pages 
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books (10 Nov 2011)

My Review 

First off, let me start by saying that I know lots of people are avoiding the series because it is written by a ghost writer and not L.J. Smith. I know that this is not fair on L.J and her fans have a right to be angry. I think L.J. Smith has done an amazing job with the Vampire Diaries series, it is one of my favourite childhood reads and I love the whole world and characters she has created. So when I seen there was going to be another, weather it be from a ghost writer or L.J. I just had to pick it up and give it a try. So anyway rant over, on with the review. :)

I really enjoyed reading Phantom, the basic storyline was great and I am so glad I picked this up and give it a go.

Elena Gilbert has returned from the dark dimension with her friends, but she is missing one very special person, Damon. The group are back to their normal lives (well as normal as can be expected in Fells Church), The Guardians true to their word restored Fells Church to the way things were before the evil Kistune twins destroyed everything.

But the gang soon realise that something or someone is out to get them (again). Strange things start to happen to each individual person and when it happens someones name gets spelt out in different ways.Who will be next? Everyone goes on high alert and on guard, but will it be enough to keep the evil that's out to get the group at bay? Will life ever be normal for Elena Gilbert and her friends?

The second part of the book is definitely better than the first half, it really picked up pace and was action packed. I am now eagerly awaiting to read the next instalment : Moonsong.

I think the way the story read was flat, there was no spark. And I know people will say, your just saying that because you are a L.J.Smith fan but seriously I could tell a mile off that L.J. didn't write this book.

Elena was really, really annoying in this book, I know she can be a little bit annoying anyway but this was really over the top. Damon, oh how I love him, was not the usual smart-ass, know it all, narky, Damon we all know and love.

Favourite character in this book:

Good old Mrs Flowers: You can always rely on her in a crisis. She is wise and caring. I love her mad mutterings with her mother.

All in all, an enjoyable read but definitely not the best in the series. I would give Phantom a go, if you are a fan of the series, it will probably surprise you.

3/5 Stars

Carly :) 


2 comments:

  1. I hesistated even putting these books oj Friday Forecast. I know a lot of fans are ticked that LJ isn't even writing them anymore. I agree if you aren't going to use the real writer don't put her name on the books, on the other hand I imagine that she got fired because she can't get her books done. I read her Night World series back in fall 2009. They were written in the 1990s I believe and still not finished. The last book keeps getting delayed, I haven't even looked lately but seriously since 2009 they keep pushing it out and here we are still no book irritating!
    I have not read the VD yet and probably won't at this point because of the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only read a few of the vampire diaries books, but there are so many and I'm more than confused now about which book goes where and in what order! And I only really gave some of them a go because I LOVE the TV series. I don't think I have ever read a ghost written book, so I can't really say how I would feel about that. I'm glad you managed to enjoy it carly. :) Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me lovely people! :)